Wednesday, January 19, 2005

JH - I'm Not Armstrong Williams...

...I don't even play him on tv. So I want you to know that I'm not being paid for this endorsement. In fact, I used my own money to purchase these tapes.

As I have ranted in the past, Minnesota is not the kind of place to take a nice stroll in the middle of the day in the middle of January. So, how do I continue those great 2 mile walks I started in the Spring that contributed so much to my well-being and fitness and mental health. Work-out tapes. I've tried a bunch in the past and usually ended up tossing them out or passing them on to friends who had great plans for a healthy new lease on life. One fitness guru annoyed me so much that I almost threw the tape at the tv. Reason prevailed and I only threw it in the trash can. Just can't stand those white-toothed, tanned, trim automotons who move in ways the human body was never designed to, never break a sweat and then shout at you, "C'mon you can do it. Move, Move. 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. C'mon just 84 more!"

Well, I finally found someone who had some respect for out-of-shape, over 30 people. The work-out is aerobically great, but it's not out to kill you. Your back and your knees are in the same positions at the end of the session as they are at the beginning. And you don't have to learn confusing dance routines. Each day I go for a two mile walk with Leslie Sansone.

She's encouraging without being patronizing. She doesn't care whether you lead off with the left foot or right, whether you have a "stretchie band" or just use your arms, or even if you have to slow down. She just wants you to keep moving and maintain good posture. Kind of like your mother used to tell you.

I have three different 2-mile walking tapes and I really enjoy the variety. I try to work out at about the same time every day so that I don't "accidently" run out of time for exercise. I also have some free weights that I use for some strength and toning in my arms (not in conjuction with the tapes) and I think the whole thing has helped tremendously in my stamina, my mood and in keeping me awake at least until 9:00 pm.

She has other programs too such as Pilates and Yoga, neither of which I've tried, but if you do, let me know how you like them. Go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...