Friday, March 4, 2005

MH - The Five Movie Quotes That Pop Into Your Head

OK, here's the latest game to make the blog rounds - the first five movie quotes to pop into your head, thanks to OGIC. No thinking about it beforehand (which shouldn't be a problem for me - the "no thinking" part, that is). Again, I make no guarantees that these are especially brilliant, and I suspect they'll say more about me than I'd want you to know, but since I'm a sucker for movie quotes - go spouting them all the time - here we go...
  1. "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!" (Treasure of the Sierra Madre) Yes, I know this isn't the exact quote as it appears in the movie, but who cares? It's the one I thought of.
  2. "Soylent Green is people!" (Soylent Green, of course) My Chuck Heston runner-up: "It's a madhouse! A madhouse!" (Planet of the Apes)
  3. "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" (Network) Subject of a future post, on the legacy of The Passion of the Christ. Suffice it to say I think that movie did a lot to instill this attitude in newly-assertive Christians.
  4. "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again." (Gone with the Wind) This one wound up in my (presently unpublished) novel. Whenever I say this around the house, I always have to add "Do you hear me?"
  5. "I'm shocked, shocked, to find that gambling is going on here." (Casablanca)

Yes, I know these lines are familiar ones, and it seems that I have something to say about all of them, but it's not as if I sat down and thought this out. I suspect it's because I have something to say about them that they popped into my head so quickly. If I actually had time to think about it, there are a lot more I could write down...

And with that, I note that we've been blogging for 12 days in a row, and there were some heavy ones in that group. So you know what? Unless something exciting or extreme comes up tomorrow, I think we're going to take the weekend off! So barring an emergency, see you on Monday...

2 comments:

  1. --"That's the stuff dreams are made of."--Humphrey Bogart (as Sam Spade)on the fake statue in "The Maltese Falcon."

    --"Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown."--The last words spoken to Jack Nicholson in "Chinatown."

    --"Here's looking at you, kid."--Humphrey Bogart to Ingrid Bergman in "Casablanca."

    --"You should have looked out for me a little bit, Charley. I could have been somebody. I could have been a contender. Now I'm just a bum."--Marlon Brando to Rod Steiger ("Charley the Gent") in "On the Waterfront."

    --"Do you expect me to talk?" "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"
    --Gert Frobe to Sean Connery in "Goldfinger."

    --"There's no place like home."--Judy Garland in "The Wizard of Oz."

    --"You just put your lips together and blow."--Lauren Bacall, on the art of kissing, to Humphrey Bogart in "To Have and Have Not."

    --"You're just about the saddest girl I've ever met."--Clark Gable to Marilyn Monroe in "The Misfits."

    --"Well, nobody's perfect."--Joe E. Brown to the cross-dressing Jack Lemmon in "Some Like It Hot."

    --"She's like Jell-O on springs."--Jack Lemmon, commenting on Sugar's (Marilyn Monroe) figure in "Some Like it Hot."

    --"I am big. It's the pictures that got small."--Gloria Swanson, as the long-forgoten silent film star Norma Desmond, in "Sunset Boulevard."

    --"Wherever there's a cop beatin' somebody up, I'll be there."--Henry Fonda as Tom Joad in "The Grapes of Wrath."

    --"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory."--Robert Duvall, on a napalm attack in Vietnam, in "Apocalypse Now."

    --"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy...they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."--From "To Kill a Mockingbird."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent choices, Anon! I've been grinning through all of them, and I recognize a lot of them from having used them in my (as-yet unpublished)novel (which had a character who loved to quote movies out-of-context). The Goldfinger quote is one of my all-time favorites! Thanks for playing; hope you comment again soon!

    Mitchell

    ReplyDelete

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...