Friday, April 1, 2005

MH - The Extraordinary Man

Had to add another comment, this one in an email to Jonah Goldberg at The Corner:
"I think I will take the time to grieve Pope John Paul II. Because it is human to do so, yes, but also because after being constantly reminded over the past couple of weeks how less than ordinary most of us are, it makes me sad and lonely to lose someone that is extraordinary."

It reminds me of a comment made by the wife of Senator Robert Taft when he was running for president in 1952. Asked if her husband were a "common man" (the "common man" being a preferred mode for one seeking the presidency, even then as now), Mrs. Taft responded, "I should hope not!"

Which is true. Greatness requires, if not demands, uncommonness. The Holy Father has been extraordinary, uncommon, a giant in a world of men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...