Friday, July 29, 2005

MH - Stemming the Tide for Frist

Yawn. So Frist comes out in favor of embryonic stem cell research. You know, I don't really want to write about this. I'd much rather be watching tonight's CFL game of the week. Some people treat this as a big deal - Arlen Specter thinks it's a monumental pronouncement. Rick Santorum doesn't think so, but that's the same Santorum that supported Specter in his reelection bid (and did he vote in support of making Frist majority leader?). Bush vows to veto increased federal funding, but that's the same Bush that supported Specter in his reelection bid (and uses Frist to carry his legislative agenda).

As I said, I don't really want to be writing about this, but since this is a topical blog dedicated in large part to political and spiritual questions, I suppose I have to say something. However, there are very good writers out there who have a lot more to say: ChezJoel has an excellent post (HT: Dawn Eden), with one of the best lines - the "hypocritical oath." Ramesh Ponnuru and Kate O'Beirne have some terrific points at The Corner. James Dobson doesn't pull any punches in his statement. Ah, I could go on and on. Sure, there are those who think Frist's done a good job on this, who agree with his position (Charles Krauthammer did so on Brit Hume's show tonight), but I'm not really interested in giving them much publicity. But I suppose I have to throw in something of my own, so here goes:

I don't understand why anyone should be surprised by this. After all, Frist was in favor of this to begin with. Maybe he's been flip-flopping around, trying first to prove his pro-life credentials, then moderating in order to show his "growth" as a Senator. I've never trusted the man as Senator. The only thing that surprises me is that there are still people out there who consider him a credible presidential candidate.

And now, if you'll excuse me, it's a lovely evening - mid 70s and sunny, low humidity, and we' ve got tickets for the Minnesota Orchestra performance tonight (Romeo and Juliet by both Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky, A Midsummer Night's Dream by Felix (the Cat) Mendelssohn). Some of my favorite music, and it's a great night for a walk over to Orchestra Hall. So if you here from us again tonight, it will be on much more pleasant topics that Bill Frist pandering for votes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...