Tuesday, September 6, 2005

Death of Another TV Icon

By Mitchell

Bob Denver died on Friday. He was Gilligan to one generation, Maynard G. Krebs to another. I loved Gilligan's Island when I was a kid, was embarrassed by it as an adult, and have an affectionate toleration for it today. Compared to much of what's on TV, it's positively Shakespearean. (After all, remember the classic episode with Phil Silvers as Hollywood producer Herald Hecuba, where the castaways put on a musical version of Hamlet?)

Anyway, I always liked Bob Denver. I don't know much about him personally, but anyone who made so many people smile so often can't be all bad. Gilligan is with the Skipper now, and let's hope it's not those two sailing the Minnow across the River Styx. R.I.P., little buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...