Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Opera Wednesday

So today I'm walkikng past one of those noontime "Holiday Concerts" they have downtown with a local orchestra of young musicians, and I have to ask: why are they playing the overture to Orpheus in the Underworld?




(Yes, I know they might think of it as "Hurry, Hurry Hercules," but still...)


*****

Here's the great Jessye Norman singing the beautiful, underappreciated, "Holy City," which isn't played nearly often enough during the Christmas season.





*****

And what would Christmas be on this blog without a clip from Amahl and the Night Visitors? (Mitchell would never let me return.) This is from the Teresa Stratas version that NBC did in the late 70s. - "Have You Seen a Child." Menotti thought if he had a do-over he would probably make this shorter, as young audiences tend to squirm a bit. I think it's just fine the way it is.




Merry Christmas, everyone!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...