Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Not so-Super Tuesday

I don't know what happens tonight with Super Tuesday - probably Romney wins, possibly Santorum springs an upset, possibly Gingrich springs back (once again) from the dead. But Jim Geraghty, to whom I linked yesterday, kind of sums up what I'm thinking about the state of the race, once again written in light of Breitbart's death:


…As Thursday wore down, several conservatives remarked that they felt more unified than they had in a while; our mutual shock, grief, and admiration for Andrew reminded us all how much we share with each other — after a primary season in which it has often felt as if we’ve all been at each other’s throats. Perhaps on Monday I’ll expand on this point, but for now, if one of my less-preferred candidates ends up getting the nomination (COUGH, Newt, COUGH), hey, affix bayonets and charge, and let’s make that guy president. We can deal with his flaws after the inauguration. Right now, this country’s being run into the ground by the president who got elected by all of the folks who chose to dance a jig at our friend’s passing. Like Hell are my boys going to grow up in a country where these losers set the standards of behavior and their juvenile sneers at the recently deceased are normal.

Remember, these are Geraghty's words, not mine. And yet I can't help but think this is the GOP's best bet for winning in November. All of the candidates seem, to one extent or another, to have a fatal flaw that would ordinarily keep them from defeating even a weak candidate like Obama. They all have a sizeable percentage of the vote against them, and a lot of the GOP faithful can't stand any of them.

What to do, what to do? Well, after last week, and after seeing the continuing war on freedom of speech, freedome of religion, and the Constitution in general, I've come to only one conclusion, and that's that any of the Republican candiates are better than what we have now. Even Ron Paul. That's saying a lot, coming from me (you note I haven't written much about politics, or anything else, lately), but no matter who it is who wins the Republican nomination, I'm behind him (or her - are you listening, Sarah?), aAnd a sizeable percentand in the end it doesn't matter how enthusiastic I am about my vote - that candidate sitll gets it. In for a penny, in for a pound, right? Discuss.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...