Thursday, December 9, 2004

MH - What's Playing

Mitch Miller, Holiday Sing Along With Mitch. I always enjoyed watching his show when I was little, and I don’t think it had anything to do with that outstanding first name. After all, what kid would forget that bouncing ball, which must have been the height of animated graphics back in those days.

In particular, I have a vague recollection of watching his Christmas show one year when I was still in single digits and we lived in the double bungalow on 28th Street and 31st Avenue in south Minneapolis. I seem to recall it was Christmas Eve, and I was thinking how this was a great way to spend the time waiting for family to come so we could open presents, which we did on the 24th. In later years I remember how delighted I was later in life to find out that Bob McGrath on Sesame Street had been one of the stars with Mitch.

I don’t know if reruns of his show would hold up today, or if we’d find it hopelessly hokey and outdated. But for us boomers, this CD is guaranteed to bring back affectionate memories of Christmases past, and it really should be a part of your Christmas music collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...