Friday, January 14, 2005

MH - Whose Sunday Is It, Anyway?

This seems to be my day for linking to interesting items - of interest to me, anyway. This one appears in the weekly bulletin of St. Olaf Catholic Church in downtown Minneapolis, and it has to do with the disgraceful disruption of family life by the opressive schedule of sports - not just the pros, but especially youth sports. It's a parasite that feeds on free time the same way the salt monster in Star Trek latched onto and sucked the life out of its victims. It's not enough that youth sports takes up every hour during the week - now it's monopolizing Sundays as well. It hardly leaves anyone time for church - but then, how dare the Church try to intrude into our free time on Sunday.

A few notes on St. Olaf's - when I worked downtown, I used to go there for noontime Mass and confession. Even though I don't work downtown anymore (at least for the time being), I'm still able to make it down there every once in a while.

It's true that I have had and continue to have issues with St. Olaf's. Their previous pastor was known as a liberal, one of those who helped perpetuate doubts about Pius XII's role in the Holocaust. Their Masses, especially the ones with visiting priests, can be, shall we say, less than the letter of the liturgical law. And that doesn't even begin to go into their monthly African Mass.

Nevertheless, I believe in giving credit where credit is due. I don't know the current pastor, Fr. Tiffany, author of the article, so I have no desire to link him with whatever has gone on or has been established at St. Olaf's in the past. I only know that I was impressed with what he had to say in this article, and I thought it was worth sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...