Tuesday, July 19, 2005

MH - The Supremes (Not Including Diana Ross)

Most of you out there are probably too young to remember when the vice-presidential nominee was named at the convention, rather than days or weeks beforehand. It was great fun speculating on who the nominee would be, since as late as the early 70s we weren't always sure even of who the presidential nominee might be until the convention started. Great fun, as I said; of course, as most anyone can tell you, fun things can also be extremely hazardous to your (political) health; for an example see George McGovern and Tom Eagleton.

So it's with a sense of deja-vu that I'm watching the news tonight and the rampant speculation as to who Bush is going to choose as the new Supreme. For much of the day the front-runner was Edith Clement, but now it looks as if she might be out. Then it might be Edith Jones, or Priscilla Owen, or John Roberts, or Michael Luttig (the current favorite), or Al Gonzales (let's hope not!), or Ted Olson (my bet for Chief Justice when that comes up), or Janice Brown, or - well, you get the idea.

Now, by the time most of you read this the nominee will already have been announced. Maybe I'll have more to say about him or her later, maybe not. But I'd noticed that it had been awhile since I'd had a purely topical post up here (those that are topical are also late; I swear I'll catch up one of these days!), so I thought I should say something. Besides, as most of the MSM are saying, the fact that the name hasn't yet leaked out is extraordinary.

That, and fun, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...