Friday, July 28, 2006

Good Words on Poets

By Judith

In his Anthology of Catholic Poets, the poet Joyce Kilmer had this to say on writing poetry:

"There are in this book poems religious in theme; there are also love-songs and war-songs. But I think that it may be called a book of Catholic poems. For a Catholic is not a Catholic only when he prays; he is a Catholic in all the thoughts and actions of his life. And when a Catholic attempts to reflect in words some of the Beauty of which as a poet he is conscious, he cannot be far from prayer and adoration."

Saying it much better than I could, Mr. Kilmer reflects what I strive to do - often not as successfully as I'd like - in my life and in my poetry. Not all of my poems are of a religious nature, but I hope that my faith comes through in all of them.

This, by the way, explains why this blog isn't as active as it has been in the past. While Mitchell works on his novels, I've been working on writing poems, something I used to do in droves, but have let lapse in the past fifteen or twenty years. However, if writing is a gift, and if it is important, then writing poetry is even more so. We'll let you know if we get published, but check back before that for other commentary. There's a much better chance you'll see our thoughts on a blog than in print. But keep a good thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...