Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tell It Like It Is

By Mitchell

The New York Observer has a great profile of Hollywood conservative Andrew Breitbart, and there are a couple of sentences that describe for me so well why I've gotten back into the political game, at least for this election.

This is why I feel so comfortable in the conservative movement,” said Mr. Breitbart, who is 39, and a father of four children. “People are willing to agree to disagree. They’re willing to disagree on the fundamental issues of our time, argue about them, fight against each other and at the end of the day say, ‘Okay well we agree about these things and we disagree about these things.’ Compare that to the Hollywood left, they were on the forefront of dethroning Joseph Lieberman as the conscience of the senate. In 2000 he was the conscience of the senate and for disagreeing on one thing, he could not be more uniformly reviled by this group of people.

“I’m telling you they’re uninteresting, they’re vicious, they’re vitriolic, they’re really, really not good people. I’m willing to say that on the record. You could probe them scientifically and anthropologically and prove that they’re not good people. They’re not acting on sound judgement, and what they’ve done to those people that disagree with them, whether they be Leiberman democrats or Scoop Jackson liberals, whether they’re Blue Dog democrats – they’ve been shut out of the party as these people do cocaine off of everybody’s buttocks and tell everybody that they need to create a sustainable future. The level of hypocrisy, I go, I’ve seen Fellini movies where I feel like I’m watching Little House on the Prairie compared to these people.”

I particularly enjoy that last line, about how Fellini movies are becoming more real than what passes for real nowadays. I work with someone, an amiable lefty, who consistently refers to Sarah Palin's son Trig as "it." I felt like pointing out that not only was this "it" a baby, he had a gender, and even an actual name. I didn't say that, however, because I value my job. And in an office where you're surrounded by lefties, you need to be very cautious with your opinions. It's not just Hollywood, folks.

Of course, that didn't stop me from putting my McCain button on my cube wall, and it's not going to stop me from wearing a "McCain-Palin" t-shirt into the office on November 5. Whatever happens then will be worth it. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...