Wednesday, May 7, 2014

"St. Jude, don't leave me"

The words of Cleveland Indians pitcher Herb Score 57 years ago today, as he lay prone on the mound after being hit in the face by a line drive from the New York Yankees' Gil McDougald. The rest of this remarkable story here.

I remember reading about Herb Score when I was a kid, I think in a book called Winners Never Quit.  (I also have the SI magazine pictured at left, in which Score's the cover story.)  Score overcame many things in life, and though his on-field career was cut short (not, incidentally, from being struck by the line drive, but from a later injury), he went on to a long and successful run as a beloved announcer for the Indians.  He may not have been a Hall of Fame pitcher, but he was a winner nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...