Friday, April 3, 2015

The Seven Cries from The Cross

DETAIL, THE PIERCING OF JESUS' HEART, PIETER PAUWEL REUBENS
1. Luke 23:34 - "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."

2. Luke 23:43 - "Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise."

3. John 19:26-27 - (to his mother) "Woman, behold thy son!" and to the disciple "Behold thy mother!"

4. Matthew 27:46-47 and Mark 15: 34-36 - "Ηλί Ηλί λιμά σαβαχθανί" (My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?)

5. John 19:28 - "I thirst"

6. John 19:30 - "Τετέλεσται" (Paid in Full).

7. Luke 23:46 - "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit"

 NOTE: In referencing #6, this is translated as "It is finished" in English, but the correct phrase has a reference in Colossians 2:14, Paul's letter to the eponymous group that the Mosaic Law put us in debt to God with sin, and is the debt Christ cancelled once nailed to the cross. As theologians note, Christ made full payment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...