Friday, April 27, 2007

Around the Horn

By Mitchell

Elsewhere,

  • At 2Blowhards, Michael offers an excellent piece on the latest disturbing, exhaustingly trying trend: crying at the office. In this confessional, Oprahfied, touchy-feely culture we've developed, I suppose this shouldn't be surprising. The stat of the day, from Michael: "One shrink estimates that 'the average college student in 2006 was 30% more narcissistic than the average student in 1982.' Given how self-centered college kids were back in the early '80s, that's a frightening figure." And that, as I am wont to say, explains a lot.
  • At Architecture and Morality, Relievedebtor asks whether the Imus flap hurts or helps conservatives. Does the almost complete ban on serious discussion of issues such as race mean, as Relievedebtor fears, that "unless there is enormous push-back among voters and consumers, the sensitive nature of political correctness in America Imus exposed will make it much harder for a conservative to now be elected president," or will it be that "If the frustration over what happened to Imus and the subsequent debate about hip-hop and hypocrisy in the media builds, an outspoken conservative may be able to awaken the sleeping Republicans." I hope for the second, but fear the first. But I agree wholeheartedly with his conclusion, that "ideas must continue to be of primary importance, not the opinions of others." Including bloggers!
  • Two wildly differing opinions on Puccini's Il Trittico, which appears tomorrow afternoon as the Met's final moviecast of the season. An Unamplified Voice was distinctly unimpressed with it, while Jay Nordlinger at the New York Sun was far more favoribly disposed. I always enjoy reading Nordlinger; his opinions are frequently reliable, and when he doesn't like something he has a way of letting you know without resorting to the cattiness so often present in reviews of this type. So who's right? Perhaps we'll know after the live broadcast tomorrow.
  • Mstislav Rostropovich, one of the greatest cellists ever and a staunch opponent of Communism, died earlier today. A friend of Solzhenitsyn, Rostropovich was outspoken in fighting for the rights of dissidents and eventually fled the Soviet Union in the 70s. He memorably performed Bach at the base of the crumbling Berlin Wall, returned to Russia during the abortive Communist coup attempt in 1991, and will remain a giant of classical music long for as long as there is classical music. R.I.P.

1 comment:

  1. On crying...

    I actually think it was a slow news day. It's not crying that's the problem; it's the culture of self-indulgence that seeks to manipulate others through use of emotion and other inappropriate tactics, versus simply sucking it up and dealing with it, and taking responsiblity for what they've done wrong.

    Funny this should come up...I'm actually on my way to termination in my company and I had a closed-door meeting the other day. Admittedly, although I've been hoping for a long time they would just can me and send me out the door, when the chips are down, to be faced with the reality is a horrible blow to the pride so there I was, holding back tears - successfully.

    Fortunately or unfortunately, dep. upon how you look at it, we all get on very well with our management - they're decent guys so we enjoy a certain friendship as a part of the professional atmosphere, so this meeting was hard on all of us.

    So my Manager found it necessary to explain that this review was not personal, etc etc, gave me a new nickname ("sparkplug" lol!), and tried to talk me into staying. They know I'm up for a new position and my life is taking a different course. He recognized my complete burnout as the root of the issue and the reason for my planning to leave, anyway.

    Of couse, under his sincere compliments what happened...the tears. Thoroughly embarassing.

    They actually took it well, although I hope not to ever repeat the experience.

    My guess would be that most people feel as I do...tears and other massive emotion at the office is to be avoided as much as possible because it's a detriment to the professional atmosphere. Yes, there are times when our humanity shows through, and times where it's appropriate (Sept. 11 comes to mind, learning of a death in the family or of a close friend, etc.)

    I honestly think that the media has taken another isolated issue and made it "news".

    And here I am, writing a book.

    Mitchell, it's actually a desperate cry for attention...

    :-) I miss youse guys. If I get the job I might be about to get, or if I don't get that job and get fired and am jobless...wanna get together and celebrate either way? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...