Thursday, March 6, 2008

My Thoughts Exactly

By Drew

John Derbyshire, yesterday at NRO:

. . .I really believe we would be as well, or as badly, governed if the Chief Executive were chosen by lots from among a pool of willing citizens who had passed a modest general knowledge test and background check. For sure we are not going to get a philosopher king out of the current process, even assuming we wanted one — which, as a republic of free citizens, we ought not.

Bill Buckley famously asked: "Who is the President of Switzerland?" Nobody knows, of course; yet Switzerland seems to get along pretty well. Is all this hullabaloo really necessary? Can anyone give me a good reason why I should go on wading through the reams of commentary and prediction on Mrs. Clinton's this and Barack Obama's that and what McCain should or shouldn't do and what a grand fellow Huckabee is? I say it's spinach, and I say the hell with it.


The Buckley reference is, of course, entirely appropriate this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...