Monday, July 30, 2018

Looking back when I see this

This promotional video for a recent concert in Moscow by Collegium Musicum may sound innocent and for most would not be of interest.  But I noted something after reading social media posts this week in my world that I had to "welcome to it" something that had me looking back at my ten years of college-level singing each summer (which I'm continuing my second half season with more spectacular works that have made it evident ditching the church choir's Top 40 hits in favour of singing real material is worth it).


Now much of this in in Cyrillic, of course, but I saw one peculiar reference in the promos, after observing a recent poster.

22 июля / воскресенье 19.00 Американская классика: Ритм и Госпел Вокальный ансамбль Ex Oriente Lux римско-католического кафедрального собора Непорочного зачатия девы Марии под управлением Дэвида Кокрейна (США). При участии Сьюзан Келли (сопрано, США) и Алана Бейкера (баритон, США). лауреат международных конкурсов Анна Орлова, орган.

Whoa!  Note the part in bold italics.  Next to it is her husband.  But who is listed in the starring role?

Сьюзан Келли

That name does sound familar.  Ah it does for a good reason.  As a doctoral candidate in conducting, she conducted a Summer Chorus that I sang in which we did a piece we called one of the greatest compositions in the Western musical canon.  As Mitchell eloquently wrote years ago, "There's always a section in the Dias Irae, the Lacrimosa (Ah! that day of tears and mourning!/From the dust of earth returning/man for judgment must prepare him;/Spare, O God, in mercy spare him!), that makes me stop whatever I'm doing and just listen."

Yes, she conducted a 2011 performance of Mozart's Requiem.  That name just piqued me when I saw it in the promotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: Think Before Commenting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...