Catholic Parents OnLine is the group most closely associated with Fr. Altier regarding the controversy over the VIRTUS sex-ed program. On their website they have the following information about the current situation:
- A recap of information regarding Fr. Altier's status. Some of this includes speculation for which there is apparently no documented basis at the present time other than rumor. In other words, I can't direct you to any other links; it's just the rumor mill.
- CPO's statement regarding the "Talking about Touching" program as implemented by the Archdiocese. As the archbishop as stated, individual pastors will be allowed to opt out of the program as long as they substitute a program that fits within the guidelines of the USCCB. CPO recommends a program currently in use in the diocese of Harrisburg, PA.
- Important talking points about the VIRTUS program.
The Seventh Age links to the Primary Educators League and their take on the "safe environment program" in the archdiocese. They don't seem to be too crazy about the approved plan either, and second CPO's statement urging pastors to seek alternate programs. This site has more good links illustrating concerns about VIRTUS and the Talking About Touching program.
One of the best Catholic bloggers out there, Domenico Bettinelli, has more on the increasing appearance of a double-standard when it comes to "dissent" in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis. I'll tell you friends, it's starting to become just a little embarrassing to admit you're from this Archdiocese...
And, just for Kevin, here are some links to the relationship between Catholicism and Freemasonry:
- The Old Catholic Encyclopedia's entry under "Masonry."
- The declaration from the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith affirming the prohibition of Catholics joining the Freemasons.
- An article from the Arlington Catholic Herald on why Catholics are still prohibited from joining the Freemasons.
- Some Freemason talking points from Catholics United for the Faith.
I don't see any more hard-and-fast news coming any time soon, so we'll continue to provide you with updates such as they as they become available and are of interest.